News Flash

City of Henderson Announcements

Posted on: April 26, 2018

Circuit court clerk shares update on driver's license renewal, Real ID

KY seal

From Henderson Circuit Court Clerk Herbert McKee:

The  Kentucky Department of Transportation (KYDOT) no longer sends out renewal notices for their Driver’s License. Therefore, I ask everyone to check on their birthday every year to see if they are expiring.
If their OL is expiring they may renew their license 6 months in advance of the expiration date if they are older than the age of 21.
E-Mail Reminder: If you would like to supply your e-mail address to receive notification you are expiring, you may by doing one of the following:
• Contact DOT Field office and they may input your email address 270-824-7040, 270-824-7041 (Madisonville office)
• Contact DOT Customer Service Center to input email address 502-564-1257
• Or when renewing your license you may supply the email address to the Circuit Clerk’s office.
By supplying the email address, you will be sent a notice of expiration of your license 6 months, 2 months and 1 month before the license will expire.
If you could share this with your members, it may save them some stress when trying to fly, rent a car, etc.
If they fail to renew and are expired a year plus a day, they will have to retake the written test in order to renew their license.
Kentucky has an extension from the Dept. of Homeland Security to use valid KY Drivers Licenses & IDs until October 10, 2018.
KY Department of Transportation will again ask for an extension. This extension is good for all domestic flights.
If you are going to a military base or a federal building, I would strongly suggest you check with the facility to make sure they will let you in with your Kentucky license.
The Voluntary Traveler’s ID will become available in Kentucky sometime in the first quarter of 2019.
All Kentucky counties will not receive at the same time.
It is the hope of the KYDOT that with the extension, your license will be good for domestic flights until it expires and you are able to obtain your Voluntary Traveler’s ID.
Documents REQUIRED to obtain the Voluntary Travel ID:
• Original Birth Certificate (Certified from Vital Statistics)
• Social Security Card that has not been laminated
• Proof of residence i.e. lease agreement, water bill, etc.
I strongly encourage everyone to be obtaining these documents now.
**If you do not wish to obtain a Travel ID, you may just renew your standard license without these documents.
COST: Vol. Travel ID: $48.00 Standard Ky License: $43.00
Both will be good for 8 years. However, to keep from everyone expiring in 8 years, there will be a random computer selection of certain individuals whose license/VTI will be renewed for only 4 years.
If you are one of those selected individuals for 4 years, the cost of your license/VTI will be prorated.
Herbert McKee, Henderson County Circuit Court Clerk